Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Friday, February 25, 2011

Take it away

My normal nights involve, almost in their entirety, preparing for the next day. Every night I lay my clothes out for next morning ** cook my egg white omelette (unless Ali does) make up my protein shake, and assemble my lunch. So on Wednesday night I decided to give myself a break and on Thursday I lived on take away food.

Now, take away (and cafe) food is tricky. You can never be certain exactly what goes in it (who would have thought there were 9 grams of sugar in a Big Mac or at least 400 calories in a blueberry muffin?). But I wanted to try it for a day in Fit and Fabulous February to see how I went and to prove you can choose healthy take away options.

Breakfast was a delicious quinoa porridge with stewed apple and a tablespoon of yogurt from Organicus in Manly. The bowl was so big and filling that I couldn't finish it. It felt like the perfect chill-post-yoga breakfast. This was probably my smartest choice of the day. Quinoa is high in protein, and for what feels and looks like a carb, low in carbs. ***

Lunch was supposed to be two vietnamese rice paper rolls, made by ICMS term one hospitality students. But they'd done such a great job I decided to buy a salmon sushi roll too. The big shock, I'd always thought of sushi as 'diet food' but when I looked it up I'd found I'd added 300 calories (just under a quarter of a day's intake) to my day's calories by adding that sushi roll. That's the main problem with buying your lunch. If you're like me your eyes will be way bigger than your stomach, it's easy to get carried away.

Dinner was a serving of Hoi Dub Bub, a Japanese dish with salad, raw fish and (more) white rice from Dong Hae in Campsie.

Yeh, so you're better off putting the work in and cooking and preparing, but there are definitely healthy options out there and I think I did OK. In fact I'm thinking of giving myself Wednesday nights off and making every Thursday take away day.

** This has to be done as it is a proven fact that one has absolutely no fashion sense at 5am. Also the chances of forgetting to pack your undies at that time in the morning are much greater.

*** For those that read my last blog on Quinoa, I decided to brave it again, this time without the drastic consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment