Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Monday, February 7, 2011

My heart is all a flutter

Yesterday I wore my heart rate monitor for 24 hours, just to measure how many calories I burned in a day. the magic number was 2462 (more than 300 burned while sleeping!). I found the whole thing fascinating, got completely obsessed and, quite frankly, was possibly more than a little boring on the subject.

Here are some of the things I learned.

My maximum heart rate is estimated to be around 180 bpm (very roughtly calculated as 220 minus your age) . The fastest my heart ever beat was at 94% of my maximum (in track 5 of a spin class). When sitting at my desk working my heart was beating at  between 42 and 44% of my maximum (around 75 bpm) standing it was closer to 50 but while having coffee with friends or eating dinner at home I was more like 38% of my maximum (around 68 bpm). Climbing stairs got me to about 60% of my maximum (around 108 bpm) .

All of this burned 2462 calories.

Tomorrow I calculate my average daily calories and see how they measure up

No comments:

Post a Comment