Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Keen on Quinoa

Quinoa (pronounced much to Ali's amusement as 'keen-wah') seems to be today's new wonder food.

A grain-like food, quinoa was once considered the 'gold of the Incas' because it provided warriors with sustained energy. it's also high in protein and amino acids.

I've been hankering to try it ever since Arthur, the Mexican retail student who from time to time sets diet and exercise plans for me, put it on my 'to eat' list.

Now, Arthur is a guy who is serious about his diet and exercise. On graduation day he was so concerned we wouldn't have healthy enough food and he brought his own tins of tuna. The result is pretty amazing. In an end of term video he was cast as 'the incredible hulk'* and there were absolutely no need for special effects. This guy is ripped!

I had Quinoa in my cupboard for about three months, but was unsure what to do with it, until I found a breakfast recipe for Quinoa porridge in Michelle Bridge's new book 'Losing the Last 5 Kilos'. (It's awesome, you should buy it).

So we made the porridge and it was with great excitement that I ate it. It wasn't nice. And the after effects! A couple of clammy and lengthy trips to the bathroom were required.

My point is this. Not every health fad is for everyone. Take advice, try it, but if it's not serving you, feel free to discard it and try something new. I know I will be.

* I lied, Arthur was actually cast as 'the incredible sulk' who broke down crying at any sign of danger. He is, however, ripped.

No comments:

Post a Comment