Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The invention that changed my life

Occasionally Ali gets carried away and purchases an item or two from a dodgy catalogue. They don't always work out. (I'm thinking particularly of the anti flea cat collar device that was supposed  to emit some kind of flea repelling sound but which i believe to be a piece of coloured cardboard.) This time, however Alistair, against my better advice, bought an item that changed my life.

The avocado keeper (pictured below) is a truly wondrous thing!

It was my my brother who introduced me to the avocado. It was winter, he was home with a broken leg, I was home from uni on a mid-year break. Avocado on toast with salt and pepper became our new favourite lunch.

Avocados are a superfood. They have been found to help prevent various types of cancer, to lower cholesterol. It's rich in folate which can help keep your heart healthy and help prevent stroke. the avocado can even help with the absorption of vitamins in the foods you eat alongside it. They are high in vitamin E and in antioxidants that are said to be important in preventing aging.

I love to eat some avocado everyday but as they are high in fat (good fat I know) and calories, I rarely eat a whole one. Before the avocado keeper my fridge was filled with browning half avocados.

But now, I can keep a half an avocado for three or so days before it starts going brown. I have no idea why no one invented one before and why it has taken so long for me to welcome this little darling into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment