Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The great sacrifice

So far, for me, Fit and Fabulous Feb has been no great sacrifice. I drink, but not that much and not that often-  I can take it or leave it. Sure it's a pain to get up at 5am to exercise, but once I'm up and going it's a great feeling. And I actually enjoy eating an egg white omelette.

But today I made the ultimate Fit and Fab Feb sacrifice. My morning cappuccino.

Anyone who knows me knows my standard order, skim cap with one and that I like to nurse it, for ages, ruefully taking the last sip almost an hour after I started it. For years, many, many years, it has been my morning companion. There may have been people who have not known me without a coffee in my hand. I've driven out of my way, to find the best cappuccino in the Inner West (or Manly), turned up late to many a meeting, all for my skim cap with one.

But this morning I changed. I've looked at what I'm eating and realised some calories have to go. There are around 75 calories in my morning cappuccino, and an additional 35 calories in the teaspoon of sugar. That's over one twelfth of my daily calorie intake.

So this morning I bought a macchiato** . No sugar.

I still get the caffeine hit, but without the 110 calories. But sadly downed, not over an hour, but in less than 5 minutes.

May seem like a small sacrifice, but as I sat in front of my computer this morning, my hand reached a number of times for the coffeethat had been finished an hour before, and I was very sad not to see it there.

** What? You didn't think I was going to give up coffee altogether did you. That would be crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment