Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The morning after ...

Boys reading this close your browser now, for it will neither interest or amuse you. Women, listen up because this is important! **

We've all experienced those 'morning afters'. The night before it all felt right and, oh, so good. You were bouncing, glowing, on top of the world. You had never felt so confident, so ... fulfilled. And then, the morning after. You feel different, flat, let down, there are moments when you wonder if you made a mistake.

The same feeling, over and over again, every time we get our hair cut.

No matter how much we love our new cut and colour, no matter how good our hairdresser is,  the day after a visit to the salon all of us experience Post Haircut Stress Syndrome (PHSS). You go to bed with quite possibly the best haircut ever. The first thing you notice when you wake is that is looks flatter, or fizzier than the night before. So you try and work with it, only to find it looks less and less like it did when you stepped out of the salon. The more you fiddle, brush, blowdry or staighten the worse it gets. In the end you give up and wash it, blow dry it, even try the outrageously expensive product that worked so well in your hairdressers hands. And that is the end of your salon perfect hair.

When my daughter was 12 I took her for her first full salon cut and blow dry. (12! What are we doing to our children people? I'm certain my first blow dry was the day of my Year 12 formal). The hairdresser worked wonders with her formerly unrully locks. My daughter was so excited she made me take a photo to send to her Dad. I still have that photo. Her eyes are shining and and she is beaming. She really thought her hair would be that way forever. I considered warning her about the existance of PHSS but I couldn't just rip her last moment of innocence from her. I knew that she would learn ... soon enough.

** Probably not as important as the situation in Egypt,  however I bet as you read this there are Egyptian woman waking up with PHSS looking for someone who understands.

No comments:

Post a Comment