Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Win or lose, it’s all in the way you look at it

I spent the weekend at a triathlon festival at Huskisson, sharing the weekend with member of my triathlon group, Balance-UTS. It was a weekend of mixed results.
Firstly, I saw some great friends reach their goals. They swam, cycled and ran for over seven hours and when they crossed the line I had tears in my eyes.  I was so proud of the way they’d trained and competed.
But my own results were mixed. I was disappointed, after all the training I put in, not to meet my time goal in the sprint triathlon. In retrospect, I realised that I set the goal too high, and, given the current pace at which I swim, cycle and run, the goal was a total fantasy.  Lesson learned. Set realistic and achievable goals.
I also had the pleasure of completing the 2km swim leg of the long course triathlon (which has a 2km swim with team Lost in Transition. As I’d never swum 2km in the Ocean before I had no expectations, my goal was just to finish, hopefully coming under the cut off time of 1 hour.
Well, I finished it, and in way under the one hour cut-off. I know my technique wasn’t perfect, and I was nowhere near fast, but I was just so proud of finishing. You couldn’t wipe the grin off my face.
The 2km swim was not that much greater, or any faster, than the sprint triathlon. But, while the triathlon felt like a defeat, the swim was a victory.
It was all in the way I looked at it.

1 comment:

  1. So true. There have been times when I have set myself a lifting goal and not quite reach it. I have gone home disappointed only to realise that I got a PR when I have logged it later on. Disappointment then becomes celebration!

    ReplyDelete