Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

If I couldn’t fail

I saw a post on Facebook the other day that asked  ‘What would you do if you know you couldn’t fail’ and instantly I started thinking- start my own business, finish all those books I’ve been writing, run an ironman triathlon. The statement made me think about how fear of failure might be holding me back, how it holds most of us back.
But then I thought, if I knew I couldn’t fail, would I relish the victory quite so much?
 Imagine starting an ironman triathlon knowing you were going to complete it, and with a personal best. Would the victory be so sweet? Would the pain you had to go through feel worth it? You certainly wouldn’t feel as nervous before, but would you feel as proud afterwards.
I watched a friend complete a long course triathlon the other day (2km swim, 90km cycle and 20km run). He’d been training for the event for months. He hardly slept the night before the race. He began his swim at 6.30am. Just over seven hours later we watched him cross the finish line to a thunderous roar. Sure, he might have happily given up the pre-race nerves, but would the victory have been as sweet if he always knew he was going to complete it?


No comments:

Post a Comment