Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Saturday, February 2, 2013

The champion

I have a secret. I haven't told anyone else. Ever!

Each time I line up to start a triathlon I beg for a flat tire along the way.

You see, while I love training for triathlon, and love (and adore) the feeling when I finish. I hate the moment before the start, when all there is in front of you, is a long swim, cycle and run. And, at that time, I'm looking for any excuse that will get me out of it and I thought a flat tire might be it.

But this morning I witnessed something quite extraordinary.

There is a woman at my triathlon club that I very much admire. She is an awesome athlete and more often than not I see her collecting her age group medal for her efforts. She also puts time into training new members. And, if that's not enough, she's really nice too.

Today, after starting in a wave ten minutes or so after mine she zoomed past me on the bike. Sadly, I then zoomed past her, as she stood on the side of the road by her inverted bike changing a tire.

"Oh no!!" I yelled to her, expecting I wouldn't see her again in the race. Thirty minutes later she was passing me on the run leg. And what do you know, she ran on to get a medal.

So, I no longer have my excuse. If you get a flat, you fix it and keep going. But I do have an awesome new role model of courage and determination.



No comments:

Post a Comment