Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Down time

Life is full on. Isn't it?

How often do any of us have do-nothing time. Time to reflect, or to think. So little time do we need to meditate to get space.

I remember my 90 year old grandmother telling me that she loved getting on a plane (she regularly took the 24 hour flight between London and Sydney to visit us). She said it was because while she was in that seat there was absolutely nothing to do. She just had to sit there. She was 90 years old with no job. Her children and grand children were grown up. She owned her house and got enough from her pension to live on. Still, the only time she could find where she had absolutely nothing to do, no pressure was when she sat on a plane.  Even the bad food and appalling sleeping postures weren't  enough to spoil that time for her.

Why do we always have to do stuff (and I'm just as guilty as, if not more guilty than, anyone). Even doing nothing we have to do something. Read a book, do the crossword, eat. We all do so much that I think we've lost the skill of doing nothing.

I'd love to re-discover it, but I'm afraid I just don't have time.


No comments:

Post a Comment