Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Monday, February 18, 2013

Diet Disection



On the day that the new Australian dietary guidelines are launched, I thought it was time to discuss my diet.
A super-fit looking spin instructor once introduced himself to the class by saying:

‘My Name’s Rob* , I used to be over 100 kilos. I’ve lost 30kg. If you come to me after class I can tell you how I did it. Short story- if it comes in a packet, don’t eat it.’

Turns out Rob was a bit of a tosser. But his advice has stayed with me, so I thought I might analyse my diet by this criteria.

Pre workout snack- A date and a few almonds- nothing processed there.
 
Breakfast- Teresa Cutter Muesli (we make a big pot of it on the weekend and it lasts through the week). Not much processed food here. Oats, and dried fruit are minimally processed as are yogurt. I think I get a tick on this one.

Morning tea- As we were away all weekend I had no time to make my Teresa Cutter Protein Fudge Snacks, so I’m on Carmen’s Muesli bars. No tick on this one, as it’s processed, but at least when I check the ingredients there is nothing that wasn’t once something natural and no ingredient I can't pronounce.

Lunch- Left over frittata with sweet potato and asparagus- All fresh ingredients and made with low fat ricotta.

Afternoon tea- green beans and red capsicum with hummus- the hummus is store-bought, I should probably make my own, but honestly, who has the time.

Dinner – Zucchini spaghetti with tomato olives and ricotta. The tomato came from a tin and the ricotta came from the deli at the supermarket. Minimal processing and we bought the low salt and sugar versions of the tomato. 

Dessert – 2 squares of Lindt 70% chocolate – I eat this every night and if you think I’m going to give it up because some tosser in a spin class told me to, think again! 

*Real name changed to protect identity

No comments:

Post a Comment