Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Monday, February 11, 2013

Bags of stuff

My mother worked full time, raised three kids, cooked for a family of five, managed our finances, and cleaned a four bedroom house. She also sang in the choir,  was a graded softball umpire and softball coach, went to church every Sunday, was on the P and C and was also intimately involved in whatever sporting association us kids decided was the flavour of the day.

My mother, and I may have mentioned this before, was very organised.

One of the secrets to her organisational success was her 'bag system'. Mum had (and still has) a bag ready-packed for every activity. Choir, softball, swimming, work. Each bag had exactly what she needed for that activity and nothing else. So, when it came time for her to tear me from her ankles, and go, say, to choir practice, she would just pick up her bag and know it had everything she needed.

Fast forward forty-odd years and I find myself doing the same thing. I have a cycling bag, a swimming bag, a gym bag and a climbing bag. I never have to check or re-check I have anything because all I do is pick up the relevant bag for the relevant training session.

You've got to love a great role model.


No comments:

Post a Comment