Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Monday, February 25, 2013

The snot rocket

I've trained over the winter before. And let me tell you, it's not fun.

It's not the dark morning starts or the frozen extremities that bother me as much as the constantly running nose. Especially on the bike.

Honestly, some cold mornings it's like sucking back on a snot milkshake. I'm told that the pressure on the nose to warm the air before it goes to the lungs makes the blood vessels dialate, which means more blood to the nose, which means more mucus. Gross.

The solution is to learn the art of the snot rocket - plugging one nostril while you blow the other in any direction that is away from your body (and prefereably also other people's bodies but that is optional).
But this is a highly risky strategy and the consequences of making an error are not nice and potentially highly embarrassing, particularly in company.

Still, if it's the only option, I may ask my coach to write snot rocket training into my program ...




No comments:

Post a Comment