Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Monday, February 4, 2013

Darkest before dawn

On Sunday afternoon I was ready to give it all up.

I'd just seen my time for my latest triathlon and, after months and months of training, it was slower than it was a year ago.**

It's enough to bring a girl to tears, and, in fact, it did. But after soaking through my husband's shirt, I decided I'd give it another go.

And then today, a breakthrough.

Anyone who has tried it will know that running after you've been cycling is not fun. Your legs are smashed, and, used to cycling, not running, seem weak and kind of floppy underneath you - kind of like the puppeteer is pulling the wrong strings.

To help train in the transition from bike to run triathletes have 'brick sessions' whch bring two of the disciuiplines (usually cycle-run) together into one session.

My  tunning pace during brick sessions, is normally pretty slow, just  over 7 minutes per kilometer. 

This morning I ran just over two kilometers off the bike. The first was at 6.11 per KM. The second was at 5.55 per KM.

Like I said a break though, and just in time too.



** There are lots of reasons for this, one is that I've been training for endurance for a longer distance triathlon, not for speed in a short distance triathlon. Also, later that afternoon I found out my tire had a slow leak, which would have impacted on my bike time and also how much energy I had for the run. But then again, maybe it was just 'one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment