Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Never say never

So this blog nearly didn't happen. Too much training (other people and myself). Too much life. Too much stuff.

But, when I was swimming today my mind finally got to wander and this is what I thought.

Some twenty years ago when my daughter was born I fell into a pretty horrendous depression. Drugs, psych ward, the whole lot. I remember once, right at the beginning being at a baby health clinic when the nurse got a call from a friend. Did she want to go for an evening swim that night? It was February. It was warm. It was daylight saving. A swim sounded lovely.

And I remember thinking 'My life has changed. How can I ever swim again. I'll never swim again.' The whole swimming thing seemed impossible.

And yet, this evening, there I was, on a warm February daylight savings type of evening. Swimming. And who knows, maybe, earlier that day, I'd got a call about the swimming and maybe someone had overheard me and thought they'd never go swimming again.

I wonder if I'd known that twenty years ago if it would have made any difference.





No comments:

Post a Comment