Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Break it down

Big goals overwhelm me. Sometimes, if they're really bid, they feel like they're crushing me and I'll never achieve them. But, instead of quitting, lately I've been trying to break those big suckers down into something that seems achievable.

Running sucks. Short runs ruck, and long runs suck even more. Unfortunately they are the inevitable ending (usually after an okay swim and fantastic ride) to every triathlon.  And the longer the triathlon, the longer the run.

In three weeks time I will be running 20 kilometres after having swum 2km and cycled 83km.  I'm determined not to let it beat me. So, instead of looking at it as one, long run, I'm training my mind to break the sucker down into small components. Early on in the race it will be to think about making it to the next aid station (2km away). But when things really get tough. I'm going to have to think about running in much shorter intervals, like the next tree, or lamp post.  Eventually, lamp post by lamp post I'll cross the finish line.

If, at the beginning of the run, I allowed my mind to on everything left to complete, I would never be able to reach my goal. But, by tricking my mind, I'm giving my body the opportunity to fulfil its true potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment