Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Back on the box

My first ever experience of cross fit today and it was a great one. If you haven't caught up, I've entered a fitchick challenge at the fitness expo next weekend. I entered it on a whim and then found out what it is I have to do ... oh dear.

To get an idea of what the competition might look like check out  this video.  Like I said ... oh dear.

It has been decided that I will do two training sessions a day. One focussing on technique, the other on strength and conditioning.

The cross fit gym is more like an industrial wasteland than any gym I'm used to. The equipment is simple: wooden boxes, barbells, huge looking weights and pull up bars. As I made my way to my trainer I had to step over the bodies scattered across the floor. Absolutely 100% spent after their workout. this is not the kind of thing you see after an aerobics class. These people, mostly ultrafit looking men could not move for at least five minutes.

This morning I learned the techniques of cross fit including the box jump, the deadlift, the clean and press and the pull up. This morning I realised how far I have to go

I did however make a major break through.

The box jump (jumping up onto a 20 inch box) was probably what I feared most from cross fit. I knew it was psychological, that I had the strength and agility, all I needed was the mind set. So, how surprised was I when I did it, first up, with pretty much the correct technique.

Now all I need is to master the same mindset to achieve my first cross fit pull up!

No comments:

Post a Comment