Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Friday, November 11, 2011

Super Saturday

Anyone doing the Michelle Bridge's program will know what Super Saturday means. Torture!

In the Lean and Fit program (last round) Super Saturday meant burning a minimum of 1000 calories. Achieving a 1000 calorie burn took two hours of running and three hours of indoor climbing **.  In the Months of Muscles Michelle and her team have developed new forms of torture, including triple sets, drop sets, supersets, compound sets and pyramid sets of weights aimed at killing even the strongest of muscles, followed by 3 rounds of a circuit of absolutely unthinkable activities, including my all time favourite (not) the Turkish-Get-Up. ***

But today's Super Saturday is the toughest yet. Because this week we're doing Super Sunday instead and today is a rest day.

Bet you didn't know we got a rest day, but there's one a week, and for good reason. The rest day gives our muscles time to recover, to repair and to grow. It is the rest days really that help us achieve our goals as without a rest day we wouldn't see such dramatic improvement.

But, between you and I, I struggle on rest days. I think I should be busy, I think I should be doing something. I think about my goals and feel frustrated I'm not actually doing anything to help myself move towards them.

Except I am- somewhere deep inside I know that. I need to learn to take it easy, to give some control over to trust in everything the experts say, and take a rest day. It's just not as easy as it sounds.



**'Super Saturday' inevitably leads to 'in bed by 8.30 Saturday night'

*** I'm not sure why the Turkish get the blame for this hideous exercise. I don't suppose it is the national pass-time in Turkey but it has definitely put me off traveling there just in case I find whole suburbs of people lying on the floor holding weights above their heads, standing up with weight still lifted above head and then lying down again all red-faced and panting.

No comments:

Post a Comment