Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Friday, November 4, 2011

Months of Muscle: It's just not working out

Since embarking on the Months of Muscles a new word has entered my vocabulary. No, not just my vocabulary but my head. That word is 'training'.

You see, I never used to 'train' I used to 'workout'.

So, what's the difference? Simple, 'working out' is really about what you see in the mirror. Training is pushing yourself to see how far you've come. But more than that, training is about setting, and reaching, a goal. Training has a purpose, a destination. Athletes train. Gymnasts train. Normal people, people like me, workout.

And my training doesn't only happen in the gym but in the kitchen, and, for the first time I'm not thinking about diet as a way to control weight but as a way of fueling my body to help me meet my goals.

When you tell people you are training they will automatically ask 'What for?'. And, up until this year, I would not have been able to give them an answer. But now, with goals firmly set in place I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment