Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

This is why I'm hot!

I was brought up Scottish and I would like to say, as only a Scot could that we're not the most expressive of people. In fact, dour is perhaps the best adjective to describe us. We take our porridge with salt, need I say more.

At Mt Colah Public School a girl's worst crime was to love herself. ** I can see it now, hanging out in the giant gnarled and knotted roots of the flame tree, watching a willy-willy toss a faded twistie pack across the playground  'Her? Nah I don't want to hang out with her, she loves herself'.

Put these two together and you find a person who seldom utters a good word about herself. So, in order to unleash unprecedented positivity, for the next ten days I am going to blog about the top ten things I love about me.

Thing to love number one:
I'm persistent. Give me a task and I'll finish it, build a wall and I'll scale it. I get through, I tough it out, the word 'can't' is not in my vocabulary. It might not be perfect, but it will be done. I get it from my Dad *** My Mum calls me 'Miss Stickability'. I take it as a compliment.


** And being a 'lemon'. If you were good looking (and didn't 'love yourself') the only way not to be a 'lemon' was to pash a boy behind the dunny block. Harsh times.

*** My Dad spent 5 years building a 30 foot yacht in the backyard after work. An hour here, two hours there, until it was done. Not perfect, just done. I remember the neighbours being a little surprised when it floated, and even more surprised when, years later, it took them on a year-long circumnavigation of Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment