Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Friday, December 23, 2011

A tri-ing sport

So the months of muscles are sadly over and the triathlon training has begun, and, wow, is it time consuming. The problem is I'm not training for one sport, I'm training for three. I've read that in triathlon training you're supposed to concentrate on your weakness, but what happens when you analyse your times and work out that every aspect of your triathlon (swim, run, cycle and transition) are your weakness.

Triathlon training should be periodised across a year, with a foundation, preparation and competition phase.  I, however, have chosen to start my training right in the middle of the season.

So, I'm concentrating on technique and strength and hoping that these (rather than fitness training) will help me improve my times. So, what does a week's triathlon training look like.

Monday- Easy swimming technique practice followed by "Brick" session (extended spin class and treadmill run)

Tuesday morning - Weights
Tuesday afternoon-  swimming stroke correction

Wednesday -  1.5 km ocean swim with the Manly Bold and Beautiful crew from Manly to Shelly and back again. (This can be followed by a run to Queenscliff beach and back)

Thursday - Weights

Friday Morning - yoga
Friday evening- Manly dualthlon - Shelly beach swim and run to Queeenscliff and back.

Saturday morning 32 km bike ride with the Bay Bug group around Homebush Bay
Saturday afternoon - Indoor climbing (this is not part of the training, but I just can't give it up!)

Sunday - rest or light yoga and meditation

All this and I am doing the shortest competition distance triathlon, a sprint distance of 750m swim, 20km ride and 5km run. Can you imagine how someone who does a iron man triathlon (3.8 km swim, 180 km ride and a marathon) must train.

No comments:

Post a Comment