Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Friday, January 2, 2015

2015 - The year of no more

I have enough.

As I sit writing this I am preparing to move house and my 'stuff' is all around me. In boxes and in bags, so many of them, it's almost sickening.

I know I have enough.

I have enough furniture, I have enough pots and pans and, most certainly, I have enough clothes.

An avid clothes shopper, I have decided that 2015 is 'the year of no more'. In 2015 I will buy no more new clothes. I will no longer walk mindlessly through malls of 'cookie cutter' designer shops looking for the outfit that will make the ultimate me. I will no longer sooth the emotional aches and pains that come with living by buying fast fashion.

As some people have become addicted to fast food I have become addicted to fast fashion, just buying that one last perfect piece, vowing that I don't need anymore and journeying out the next week only to find the new one last perfect piece.

As some people binge on food, I have binged on fashion, using shopping to lift my mood, only to feel guilt and remorse, meaning I need to go shopping to feel better again.

On December 31 I bought my last piece of clothing for 12 months.

So, these are my rules for 2015.

  1. I will buy no new clothes for 12 months
  2. I will not transfer  my clothes shopping addiction to buying other 'stuff'
  3. I will blog weekly 
  4. New underwear and running shoes are allowed (when absolutely necessary and not within the first month).
  5. In February I will join the six items of clothes challenge. Wearing only six items of clothes for a six week period. 
  6. Every time I don't buy something I will write it down. If I still want it next January, I will buy it.
  7.  I will use my blog to tell people about fast fashion, which may turn out to be as bad for our health, bank accounts and environment as fast food.
  8. I will feel free to add or modify rules as I learn from the year.




No comments:

Post a Comment