As I sit writing this I am preparing to move house and my 'stuff' is all around me. In boxes and in bags, so many of them, it's almost sickening.
I know I have enough.
I have enough furniture, I have enough pots and pans and, most certainly, I have enough clothes.
An avid clothes shopper, I have decided that 2015 is 'the year of no more'. In 2015 I will buy no more new clothes. I will no longer walk mindlessly through malls of 'cookie cutter' designer shops looking for the outfit that will make the ultimate me. I will no longer sooth the emotional aches and pains that come with living by buying fast fashion.
As some people have become addicted to fast food I have become addicted to fast fashion, just buying that one last perfect piece, vowing that I don't need anymore and journeying out the next week only to find the new one last perfect piece.
As some people binge on food, I have binged on fashion, using shopping to lift my mood, only to feel guilt and remorse, meaning I need to go shopping to feel better again.
On December 31 I bought my last piece of clothing for 12 months.
So, these are my rules for 2015.
- I will buy no new clothes for 12 months
- I will not transfer my clothes shopping addiction to buying other 'stuff'
- I will blog weekly
- New underwear and running shoes are allowed (when absolutely necessary and not within the first month).
- In February I will join the six items of clothes challenge. Wearing only six items of clothes for a six week period.
- Every time I don't buy something I will write it down. If I still want it next January, I will buy it.
- I will use my blog to tell people about fast fashion, which may turn out to be as bad for our health, bank accounts and environment as fast food.
- I will feel free to add or modify rules as I learn from the year.