Adrienne Jerram

Adrienne Jerram

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

This is why I'm hot 9: I think the world should be a fair place

The other day at work we were asked to write down our beliefs and values. My number one was that 'I think the world should be a fair place'. I think over my life I have done a few things to help make it that way.

But the truth is the world is far from fair. That's why I'm dedicating my half-marathon run to Amnesty International. This year amnesty, a worldwide movement of people campaigning to protect human rights, celebrated 50 years of human rights campaigning. Here are just three of their recent secesses:

Earlier this year they celebrated the Australian government’s announcement of a nationwide plan to combat violence against women and their children. They had been campaigning for such a plan for nearly five years, and it’s arrival marked a huge win in this campaign.

Amnesty International USA recently celebrated the abolition for the death penalty in Illinois, making it the 16th state to abolish this antiquated, ineffective and inhumane punishment.

Aung San Suu Kyi spent 15 years under house arrest after she peacefully protested to win power over the government's oppressive regime in Burma.  For years Amnesty supporters have been working tirelessly to bring about change and in 2010 the global campaign resulted in 110,000 actions, emails and letters calling for her release, together with the other 2,200 other political prisoners in Burma. Aung San Suu Kyi was released on 13th November 2010, sparking worldwide celebrations.

You can sponsor me simply and easily by clicking on this link.

http://www.gofundraise.com.au/page/Adrienne_Jerram

You will receive a receipt immediately and you can even leave a personal message on my page - please be nice! : )

I'll do the hard work on the day - your part is easy.


1 comment:

  1. Good luck on the marathon Adrienne. It is going to be a beautiful day and you should smash it! Let us all know how you got on. x

    ReplyDelete